Tuesday, August 1, 2017

RPG-A-Day 2017



Hell, why not? I see it on EN World and on Barking Alien's place and I've not been posting as regularly so why not take this as an opportunity to pay a little more attention to the RPG side of things here?

So Day 1 is "What published RPG do you wish you were playing right now?"`

Is that literally right now? Because it's a Tuesday morning and I'm in between work duties, so that would be awkward. I suppose I could try to finally finish Baldur's Gate, or fire up Star Trek Online but I don't think that's what they mean.

Recently I've been running D&D 5th edition and Star Wars Edge of the Empire. I'm pretty happy with those. I've also been digging in to some other games for research/prep:

  • Dungeon Crawl Classics - they had a kickstarter for scratch-off zero level character sheets which has me wanting to finish our first foray into this game.
  • Mutant Crawl Classics - the kickstarter PDF recently went to backers and it looks like a lot of fun.
  • Twilight 2000 - I have an almost complete set of published books for this game and at least two interested players. I'm working on completing the collection and contemplating how or when I would run a campaign.
  • Shadowrun - the Apprentices have never actually played and it feels like I should fix that
  • Savage Worlds Rifts - still haven't run a game. It's been discussed, it just hasn't happened yet. 
Lots of older school stuff there. I'd be happy running any of those if it didn't interfere with what I'm already doing.

The question specifically mentioned "playing" though. I don't know that they meant it to be that specific but let me take it as "playing" and not "running". I run a lot more than I play so this is a more interesting version of the question.


I'd say supers - M&M, Champions, ICONS, BASH, Marvel, whatever. It's been forever since I've played in an ongoing superhero game. My decision to make this year the one I catch up on Astro City is probably contributing here too.

Runner up: "Star Trek" - I'd like to play in a Trek campaign for a good while run by someone who knows and loves the material. Again, the rules are not the issue so much here as the genre or setting. 

So there's my answer to the question. 


No comments: